One thing we have asked prayer for in the past has been for our Sunday mornings. Two Sundays out of the month we have Team Worship and the other two Sundays we worship at Bundimalinga Presbyterian Church. While the experience of worshiping with Ugandans is a privilege and joy that we truly do not take for granted, it often times is work, especially with two squirmy little muzungu kids who have no idea what is going on (ok, half the time I don't know what is going on either, but that is a mute point...) Since we have arrived, our girls have been lasting on average between 20-45 minutes before a meltdown occurs and one of us has to walk them home.
However, today I would like to announce a breakthrough! One positive change the church initiated at the beginning of 2014 was to move the "children's area" to the back of the church instead of the front. This is extremely helpful because I can bring books back there and read to the kids, walk around without being a spectacle, and help our girls engage with other kids their age. Today was the first day that I can say "our girls actually enjoyed church!" Before migrating to the back where the other kids were, some children next to Lucy shared their snack (popcorn) with them. This of course won some instant friendships. When Lucy wanted to share her snack with some of the kids in the back, I was hesitant as I had only brought 6 ginger snap cookies and there was NO WAY that was going to supply the 20+ kids hanging out in the back with us. While in a corner with one other little girl, I let Lucy discreetly split a cookie with one little friend. What did her friend do? Before even taking a bite, she dashed to the other side of the room and let each and every other little kid take a nibble off that half of her cookie! Y'all, it truly was a "loaves and fishes" scene...Lucy dashed back over to me, eager for another cookie. Handing it to her, she broke it in half, gave it to her "friend", who delightedly dashed back over to the crowd who nibbled and giggled with delight.
And that set the stage for laughing and giggling, dancing, and dashing, and truly engaging with some new Ugandan friends. The best of all was when Lucy noticed that her new "friend" had an outie belly button (or maybe because her belly was so distended, it poked the belly button out like what happens when you are pregnant). After that discovery, they just sat on the ground exploring each other...her "friend" stroking Lucy's blonde muzungu hair, and Lucy poking her silly-looking belly button. Both were laughing with delight at the differences the other one had from themself.
All that to say, again, THANK YOU for praying for us. God is moving in our midst. I'm not really sure what the sermon was on this morning (we still went home early...before they even started the sermon), but I know that there was some joy in the church. Through tending these children,
God is teaching me much.
Hope you enjoy the little videos!
No comments:
Post a Comment