In light of that, about 10 days ago I had my Birmingham Day. My sister sent me this awesome shirt for my birthday, & on that day I pretended that it WAS a nice day to be in Birmingham!
"So, what would you be doing in Birmingham today?"
you might ask...
Well, let me tell you! If I was having an especially difficult week, I would throw my kids in the car & head to my sister Jenn's house (or I would drop them off at the home of our sweet neighbor whom we affectionately call Nonnie, and let the girls have the time of their life there while I get some 1:1 time with the sis). She has 3 boys who sleep in this garage-turned-bedroom that we fondly refer to as Suite 7 (since that is what is imprinted on the recycled door to the bedroom...& because it's, well, pretty sweet). We would let the kids play in there for a bit while she served me up some of this fabulous drink she always has on-hand. Ok, so my version is just Chia seeds, water, & a splash of lemon juice. But hers is usually in a Mason jar (way cooler) with some sprigs of mint & stevia from her herb garden.
We would sit & chat, mostly about who heard the latest from our other sister Emily (who lives in Houston) or what fun thing we were planning to do next time my parents were in town. Peppered throughout the conversation would be rabbit trails on homeschooling, the latest on how Christian (her middle son with lots of food allergies) is handling his GAPS diet, & the every 2-3minute interruption to give one of our kids discipline (or water, or help on the potty, or something of the like).At some point in time, we would meander out to her garden (usually when the kids needed to get outside), to collect things that she would use for lunch or another meal. In honor of this tradition, I decided to get out there myself today & put some seeds in the ground, hoping I still have a bit of rainy season left to start the crops off. I even planted some giant sunflowers, as my sister would always have these growing in her garden in the summer.
This was my "in-honor-of-Birmingham" lunch today, not because Superfood snack bars were normally part of the diet there, but because if my crew were staying for lunch at my sister's (which we inevitably always did...), she would have some kind of superfood salad that included yummy-ness like fresh arugula, sprouted lentils, & other goodies that came straight from her back yard. Since, sadly, that has yet to become my situation here in Bundibugyo (and since, sadly again, there really was no other options for lunch today...) Superberry & Greens it was (& it actually was pretty good!)
Other things that reminded my of Birmingham today were these:
...beautifully fresh cut flowers from a teammate's garden...
(which I guarantee my sister has matching ones to on the window sill above her sink in these miniature antique bud jars),
and...
...this glass...
(from said teammate who is from- guess where?! Birmingham!)
My sister also has a similar set in a different color. This actually reminds me more of my New Orleans-roots than Birmingham.
So, that was my free therapy for the day...
...reminiscing on what life used to be...
...and infusing those parts of my identity with my new life here...
There are things that are different
(like having to check for ants before I sit on the couch or cockroaches on the way to the bathroom at night),
but some things are, or can be, somehow the same.
This is Life.






Oh, Lauren, what I wouldn't give for a day with you in Birmingham!!! What you forgot to say is that the best way to end our time together was getting dinner ready when our hubbies came home from work and then putting all the kids down followed by a relaxing evening of adult time with a movie and some CMOs and ice cream. This post makes my heart miss you!!
ReplyDeleteI loved this peek into your relationship with Jen as adults!! Much love from Atlanta.
ReplyDelete