Thursday, October 16, 2014

"What in the World Were We Thinking?!" Reflections on 10 Years of Marriage


Ten years ago today, I married a man whom I had had an overseas relationship with for 3 years. The majority of our courtship can be summed up in a box of letters, some emails, and a journal we passed back and forth across the oceans. Over those three years, we had seen each other only every 6 months for little more than a week at a time. There was no Skype, no Face Time, no Facebook, no international phone plans or texting...just a spotty internet cafe 13 miles from his home that would allow an expensive phone call that had a 10-second delay in transmission (ask my college roommates about this season of my life, lol...)


We were young. We were naive. We were adventurous. And of course, 
we were in love. 

 

Looking back on that blissful, picturesque, fall day, full of joy, laughter, and anticipation, I can't help but think, "What in the world were we thinking?!" Two people who barely knew each other making a pact to stick it out through thick and thin for as long as we were both on this earth... Holy Cow. Did we really know the weight of what we were doing?  Of course we didn't. But let me tell you what we did know...


We knew Jesus Christ. 
We knew that He called His disciples to do some unconventional things. We knew that we were His disciples, and His commands to make disciples among the nations included our involvement. And we knew He had called us to do it together. Whatever the cost. He had promised that He was with us, and that meant that whatever storm came our way, He would weather it with us.  
AND HE HAS.



Fast forward ten years (if you want to catch up on our life in those years, click HERE) Here I lay, on a couch in a guest house, far from home, not knowing where home is anymore, grieving the loss of a child I will have to wait until heaven to meet. I'm tired, I'm weary, and I'm heavy-laden from a year that has shown us more grief and loss than the past 10 years combined. In ways I feel like our moving to Uganda has us back in the same place we were in 10 years ago- just starting out naive and hopeful, greatly anticipating what God had in store for our future. Now that reality has settled in deep in the bones,  I look back and think,
"What were we thinking?!" 
The only difference is that now I feel the weight of that price tag to follow Jesus to the ends of the earth- it's got 6 figures, y'all!


All joking aside, there really is a big difference between now and ten years ago (in addition to less hair and more wrinkles). 


We have SEEN Jesus weather the storm with us. 


We have SEEN Him provide in ways that seem just as miraculous as when He raised Lazarus from the dead. 
 
We have SEEN Him reward childlike faith.


 And I have SEEN Him prove time and time again why it is He hand-picked my husband just for me.



 It was for such a time as this.


Grief mingled with joy, 
longing with contentment, 
hungry but fully satisfied, 
unsettled but at peace,
wandering but not lost,
questioning but fully assured...
 that these are the plans of the Lord.
...and He is good.


*Have you made any decisions in your life that you look back on and ask, 
"What in the world was I thinking?!"
...only to hear your heart whisper back 
"You were following Jesus..."?
If not, I highly recommend you try it. 
You won't have regrets.
Because He won't disappoint.
EVER.

5 comments:

  1. Lauren, you have an amazing gift with words and beautiful way of looking at things. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you. Even as my heart grieves for you, I see the love your heavenly Father has for you and your love for him. What a loving tribute to God - 10 years of following him and knowing you can trust him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did we tell you BGO years are dog years, so they count as 7? "Happy" 16th anniversary, and we grieve with you on the pain and loss of this broken world. Finding joy in the hard places is a miracle of redemption. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren and Derek, we love you and are standing with you. Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary! The Lord shines through your marriage and your life's journey... I see His redemption and His beauty in your story-thank you for letting Him be seen! The anchor holds! Love from not sooo far away... Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, you don't know me. I was an intern before you got there (I counted everything in your house one week!). But I am also dating a man across the globe. I won't see him for 9 extremely long months. And it sucks at times. It's cook to hear your story and your raw trust in the Lord. I pray for you and the rest of the team regularly. You are bringing glory to him amidst the pain. You are beautiful amidst the darkness of Bundi. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete