Just over 2 weeks ago, our family welcomed our first baby
boy to the family! Yes, we ended up being “those parents” who did not decide on
a name for the little guy until a day after he was born, when the birth
certificate lady was coming up the hall. What can I say- I've always been a procrastinator, and moving to Africa didn't help things in that department! In the end we decided on the name Jack Redison,
which happens to fit him perfectly. And today I wanted to use this post to
expound on how and why we chose this name for our son.
We decided on the name Jack for several reasons:
1)
My husband likes the name Jack (secretly I think
it has something to do with his admiration of Jack Bauer…)
2)
It sounds good with Lucy & Olive (which
apparently is very important according to the latest trends...)
3)
It’s a reminder of God’s cornucopia of
blessing to us through the corporate body of Christ (the name of the generous man who has provided a home
for our family in this season is also Jack)
Now, the name Redison there is a little bit of a back-story to...
It
sounds like a family name, right? Ha. Not quite…
Our eldest child, Lucy, “tried
on” many different names for this baby throughout my pregnancy. She would stick
with one and call him that for anywhere from a few weeks to a month or so, and
then would move on to calling him another name. One day in recent months she
began calling him “Redison”. I asked her
how she came up with that name and she replied, “Well, I like the color Red…and
it sounds better than Blue-ison.” She is my logical thinker, and so this answer
did not surprise me in the least. After looking it up and realizing that it
really is not a name at all (not even Google picks it up…), I mentioned that we
probably should think about a name that has some sort of meaning to us- something that would be significant for both him and our family. She tootled
off, still calling him Redison, not paying much mind to her mama’s right-brain antics. …or so I thought. Then, several days later she came back to me
with excitement in her voice, announcing, “I found the meaning of ‘Redison’!”
Intrigued, I asked her what it was. “It means ‘the blood of Jesus’…and that
means something to us” she replied.
Well, how can I argue with that? Clearly she had made that definition up, but the blood of Jesus does
mean something to us. It means a lot to our family. Included in that 5yr old’s faith-answer is this mystery
of not fully understanding what the
blood of Jesus has done for us, but knowing
that it did something great, something world-changing, life-altering, and
something worthy of building our life upon. That is the faith I long to have-
the one that embraces mystery but is not afraid to drop our anchor in deep
waters.
The other cool thing I like about the name “Redison” is that
to me it means, “son of the Redeemer”. When I was looking up the meaning of
different names, I realized (which is probably common sense to everyone else…)
that names ending in “-son” literally mean “son of…” Sharing the same root word
as “redeemer”, “Redison” is a reminder to me that this son of my flesh is
really a son of one greater than me- he is the son of my Creator and my Deliverer. Jesus, our "Redeemer", is the One who purchased us back from the depths of depravity, and has given us a Hope that can never be shaken by the broken nature of this world. And that Creator, the one that knit this bundle of joy together in
my womb, is the One who will lead, guide, and sustain my son through all of his
days.
Jack Redison- welcome to the family!
…and get ready, buddy.
It’s a wild ride...




That last picture is just adorable. Welcome to your sweet baby boy!
ReplyDeleteI love this post so very much!! You have a gift with words sweet friend! Also, on a completely unrelated note - I am over the moon for Olive in overalls and a necklace (pearls?!) I need that ensemble in my closet stat.
ReplyDeleteI think it's quite time for Google to recognize the beauty and purpose for the name "Redison!" A beautiful blessing! Hope all is well with your sweet family.
ReplyDeleteSigned,
(Your UAB RN that discharged you and is still praying for you all ;)
I love this story.
ReplyDeleteI love this story.
ReplyDelete