Thursday, August 29, 2013

Embracing the Gifts of Today...

I've pretty much decided that Olive is preparing herself for Africa time now and trying to save us the hassle by going ahead and getting her jet lag over with before we leave. (Thank you for trying to help, Olive!) Yesterday she woke at 4:15 to get a jump start on her day. The day before that it was 4:17, and the day before that it was 4:21. And I've lost track of the days before then but we are definitely going on 2 weeks now of 4am wake-up calls. This wouldn't be that much a nuisance if she were in her own room and could cry herself back to sleep, but since her room as been converted to the Packing/Work Room, she is currently residing in our closet. Which means, of course, that when she is up, we are up!

To poor little Olive's defense, the boo does have a bit going on right now: 
Cutting molars, Diarrhea, transitioning from 2 naps to 1, transitioning from Pack-n-Play to Peapod (think crib to tent), and about to make the transition to cloth diapers. I'd maybe be losing sleep too if all that were happening in my little 14-month life!

So yesterday, (after we reached the point of no return), I mustered up all my energy as she and I trudged off to do a 2hr Wal-Mart run at 6am. And that's when I saw it:

God's gift to me.

It was as if He was saying to me:

"Remember last month when you were praying that I would [gently] wake you up early every morning so that we could spend time together? Yeah, I tried that. You didn't wake up. Every day I've been creating this gift for you to behold my glory, but you've decided that keeping your head on the pillow with the shades drawn so not an ounce of my light can creep in would be better for you. But, since I am a faithful God and in the business of answering prayers...and you did actually pray to wake up early with me...well, I had to send in the sirens. It turns out that you were so stubborn that I had to start the sirens blaring at 4:15 every morning, just to get you to rouse from your slumber. So, here it is...behold my glory. Lift your eyes (away from the boxes) and to the hills, and know where your help comes from. Your help comes from the Lord, the creator of Heaven and Earth. And 
I. love. you.

The question I am asking myself is: Am I so consumed with my own agenda (getting our lives packed and moved to Africa) that I am missing out on God's good and sweet gifts to me today?? The very ones I pray to have eyes to see- He is giving them...so often, I am just missing them. Oh, Lord. Forgive me. Help me to slow down, to turn my eyes from myself, my own comforts and convenience, and to look on you and the sweet kisses of grace you give us
every. single. day.





  








This is Life.
{embrace it}

No comments:

Post a Comment